The Defiance College Athletic Department is committed to a high standard of ethical conduct by following all NCAA and Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference rules and regulations. The purpose of this page is to provide compliance resources to all Defiance College Athletic Department personnel, student-athletes, college employees, boosters, and prospective student-athletes. Any specific questions can be directed to the Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance. Please don't hesitate to ASK BEFORE YOU ACT!
DEFIANCE COLLEGE STUDENT-ATHLETES
ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT STAFF & COACHES
ATHLETICS BOOSTERS/INSTITUTIONAL STAFF
Defiance College Intercollegiate Athletic Philosophy
The Defiance College intercollegiate athletic program serves as a window of opportunity for all prospective student-athletes to experience an extra-curricular educational and physical activity that fits within the general mission of the college to develop the whole person.
The student-athlete will be exposed to a variety of opportunities for personal growth in the areas of intellectual, emotional, spiritual, social and physical dimensions as it relates to each individual and their respective sport. The student-athlete, as a team member, will be involved in a learning community that will strive for excellence both on the field and in the classroom while maintaining a dignity of fair play and continued emphasis on positive sportsmanship.
Jointly, the coaches and student-athletes will build an engaged environment that will accentuate the learning process not only within the competitive arena but also within the college campus and the community as a whole. An emphasis will be placed on the impact of participation and personal growth, rather than scoreboard success, in a balanced sports program where equitable sports opportunities will be available to both genders.
The student-athletes of Defiance College choose to participate in the intercollegiate athletic program for a variety of reasons but none of which includes athletic related financial aid or the promise of financial security through professional athletic stardom. Through participation in the intercollegiate athletic program, a student-athlete continues to compete for the love of sport, the thrill of competition and the fulfillment of countless intrinsic values.
The Defiance College intercollegiate athletic program strives to be an integral and cohesive part of the collegiate learning and living process, appropriately well suited to co-exist with the Defiance College mission statement…to know-to lead-to serve and to understand.
The mission of the NCAA is to maintain intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the campus educational program and the athlete as an integral part of the student body. With this in mind, the Student-Athlete Affairs Program was created to support the student development initiatives of its member institutions and to enhance the quality of the student-athlete experience within the university setting. In the process of achieving this mission, the Student-Athlete Affairs Program will:
- Support efforts of every student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation.
- Use athletics as preparation for success in life.
- Meet the changing needs of student-athletes.
- Promote respect for diversity among student-athletes.
- Enhance interpersonal relationships in the lives of student-athletes.
- Assist student-athletes in building positive self-esteem.
- Enable student-athletes to make meaningful contributions to their communities.
- Promote ownership by the student-athletes of their academic, athletic, personal and social responsibilities.
- Enhance partnerships between the NCAA, member institutions and their communities for the purpose of education.
- Encourage the development of leadership skills.
Student-Athlete Affairs Program Commitment Statements
Commitment to Academic Excellence
To support the academic progress of the student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation.
Commitment to Athletic Excellence
To build philosophical foundations for the development of athletic programs that are broad-based, equitable and dedicated to the well-being of the student-athlete.
Commitment to Personal Development
To support the development of a well-balanced lifestyle for student-athletes, encouraging emotional well-being, personal growth and decision-making skills.
Commitment to Career Development
To encourage the student-athlete to develop and pursue career and life goals.
Commitment to Service
To engage the student-athlete in service to his or her campus and surrounding communities.
The Academic Commitment
- Study Skills
- Goal Setting and Time Management
- Tutoring and Structured Study Sessions
- Orientation and Assessment
- Academic Counseling and Advising
- Registration in a Meaningful Curriculum
- Scholarship Application
- Awards, Honors and Recognition
The Personal Development Commitment
- Disordered Eating Prevention Education
- Establishing Relationships and Developing Sexual Responsibility
- Developing Self-Esteem
- Stress Management
- Alcohol Choices and Addictive Behavior
- Dealing with Depression and Grief
- Interpersonal Communications
- Media Relations
- Personal and Social Development
- Manners and Etiquette
- Dealing with Authority
- Understanding and Celebrating Diversity
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Violence Prevention
The Career Development Commitment
- Career Development
- Freshman - Senior Years
- Alumni Career Network
- Life After Sports Seminar
- The Service Commitment
- Service Commitment
- Speakers Bureau
- Play Active Sports Program
- Peer Education and Counseling
- Student-Athlete Assistance Program
The Athletics Commitment
- Coaching and Evaluations
- Departmental Operations
- Support Programs
- Exit Interviews
- The Program Administration
- Mission, Values and Purpose
- Program Assessment and Evaluation Instruments
- Needs Assessment
- Content Objectives Evaluation
- Student-Athlete Evaluation
- Program Support
- Faculty Fellows
- Counseling Student-Athletes
- Strategic Planning
Student Academic Support Services
Gender Equity & Title IX - Diversity & Inclusion